Every year, we build the Epic Skill Swap schedule through a participatory process. You will be able to request workshops that you would like to take and propose workshops that you would like to teach through our skill submission website. Here’s how it works:
UPDATE FOR 2021, Workshop submission will end on September 9th. This will give organizers time to set up a schedule. The schedule will be posted on September 10th to the website and our Facebook page, giving participants some time to anticipate the skills they will gain this year.
In a other years we’ve had voting… We decided to simplify this year but may bring it back another year. Here is how it worked with voting:
Phase I: Submit your workshops!
- The workshop submission site is open for 2020! You, the ESS community, will have about three weeks to propose and request workshops.
- To submit a workshop you want to teach, click on “Propose a Workshop.” (If you have not already done so, read our page of resources for workshop leaders. Curious about past workshops? Check out the Past Swaps tab above.)
- If you want to learn how to do something and you’re hoping others can teach you, click “Request a Workshop.”
- If you don’t already have an account, you’ll be prompted to create a username (or you can log in with Google, Yahoo, Facebook, or Twitter) to submit your idea. (Yay! Anti-spam protection!) If you’re setting up an account without logging in via Google or one of the other services, and you don’t see a confirmation email, be sure to check your spam folder.
Phase II: Voting!
- Near the end of March, we’ll open up voting. Go to skills.epicskillswap.org to see the workshops that were proposed during the submission period.
- At this point, everyone (even those who did not propose a workshop) will have an opportunity to vote on the skills you’d like to see offered at this year’s Swap.
- Note: this step is not a popularity contest—in the past, we have had space for everyone who proposed a workshop to teach one. We use the voting results to plan the schedule and gauge the relative interest in multiple workshops if someone proposes more than one.
- Voting will close at the end of March/early April.
Phase III: Building the schedule!
- We will be in touch with workshop leaders to confirm your participation in early April. If you proposed more than one, we’ll give you a sense of which garnered more interest.
- The schedule will be posted in early/mid April. And then we’ll all do happy dances.
- There will be a few spaces left in the schedule for for folks who missed the submission process to lead workshops at each weekend.